"...without at all giving expression to what I think, I consider all this in my own mind, words yet occasionally impede my progress..." Rene Descartes

Sunday, April 3, 2011

...And Just When You Thought...

....Poetry Was All About the Words...


Reading the various poets in class this week has really got me thinking about the complexity of poetry and the many variations in the works of different poets. I love how poetry seems to transcend words, and somehow gives new weight and breathes new life into the vocabulary we have to work with. Using symbolism and metaphor along with other literary devices can open up a whole new world where words are concerned. The talent that poets display with these tools never ceases to amaze me, and the freedom implied by poetry is always refreshing to my psyche. Where vocabulary and the strict rules of grammar can be stifling, poetry breaks free and is almost intangible - un-chainable - in its efforts to urge us to expand our awareness and perspective. Even these few words that I have just written cannot begin to describe the power that is held in poetry...or the frustration of words limitations.

Insufficiency 
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

When I attain to utter forth in verse
Some inward thought, my soul throbs audibly
Along my pulses, yearning to be free
And something farther, fuller, higher, rehearse
To the individual, true, and the universe,
In consummation of right harmony:
But, like a wind-exposed distorted tree,
We are blown against for ever by the curse
Which breathes through Nature. Oh, the world is weak !
The effluence of each is false to all,
And what we best conceive we fail to speak.
Wait, soul, until thine ashen garments fall,
And then resume thy broken strains, and seek
Fit peroration without let or thrall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me your thoughts on this Post!